Self reflection creates self acceptance


The main benefit of self-reflection is that it allows us to know or be aware of our real selves.  This includes not only our goals and dreams but also our weaknesses. This makes sure that we improve and appreciate the right things & become grateful for the experience. 

    Something I discuss with clients is the importance of prioritising ourselves. This comes in the form of self reflection to accept and understand why the journey has been the way it has or why you made the choices you did. It's hard sometimes to think through these situations due to the triggers they hold but self acceptance is really needed to move forward in life; creating the best version of you. 



Dear Hannah,

I know you struggled being you. From the aged of & you struggled with being different, struggled with who you wanted to be; you became scared of people & your surroundings. It was hard growing up. Knowing you weren’t a clone of the rest of them. Friends were fewer than most but you were social with them & that mattered. 

I love you!

As a teens you broke even more. Facing some hard challenges from others. Peers are always happy to voice their opinions, no matter the pain it causes. You were different to others visually; You faced stigma, a change in hormones & negativity from society – You battled it. Cried everyday for years but it made you stronger. 

I love you!

I remember the day you turned up at school & the bullies were waiting for you outside the classroom, that was one of the hardest days you faced but you did it. There was at least 10 of them. They pinned you down, stole your dinner money, spat in your face and then locked in the store room of the A6 classroom. You entertained yourself with doodling & crafts whilst wondering if anyone would ever find you. 

I love you!

The bullying got worse over the years, thank you for turning up. The scars have lived with you forever but I know you’ve dealt with it now. Do you remember that day in science when we were playing with test tubes and sweet papers? That's the same day the bully set fire to your hair. You keep so calm; How? You came back to school the next day. 

I love you!

I remember the teachers told you that you wouldn’t even get the basic grades in GCSE “there is no hope for you” The determination on your face to prove them wrong was so powerful. Your efforts resulted in more; 8 x GCSEs, 4 x A-Levels, A foundation Degree & A First Class Medical Degree in Nursing. 

I love you!

How was Australia? Adult bullying, manipulation, verbal abuse & at times physical… the worst relationship experience of your life; made harder when being in one of the most beautiful places in the world and not getting to experience it. Your courage and strength to pack that suitcase, book a flight & leave was incredible.

 I love you!

You’ve had to rebuild your life a few times. Heartbreaking at times. All you were seeking was appreciation, attention, comfort, to be wanted, to be loved for who you were; compensating for what was missing from you. You knew marriage was not the answer. You made a mistake, we’ve all been there. I am so proud of you for being true to yourself & walking away. 

I love You!

Counselling is not shameful, it was so helpful. More people should do it. It took strength to walk through that door, courage to talk openly about historical demons; building the resilience to lock them away. You know this should of happened as a teen but maybe you just weren’t ready then. Your resilience in life is now so powerful & gets stronger everyday, keep going. 

I love you!

Body image has been a huge part of your journey; you hate what you see. You still see 17 year old ginger Ogre in the mirror at size 26. You’ve made such progress. Your passion to make a change has been infectious. I know your relationship with mirrors is going to get easier, it is already improving- you smile more and walk with confidence now. You’re healthier in body & mind but I wish you could see what others can see. 

I love you!

I am so proud of how far you have come. I am proud that you’ve embraced the challenging experiences head on & made yourself stronger. I am proud of who you are & who you have blossomed into. I am proud of your achievements & passions that drive you everyday. I am proud of the strength you give to others - Thank you!

Love me x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Okay to cry...

When Life Shifts, You’re Left Holding the Weight!

Do you priorities your own Mental Health?